Monday, May 16, 2011

Bathroom vs. Birthday Party


I admit it. I am not a good closer. Sometimes I struggle with completion. I know, I know ~ I am in therapy. But the first step is admitting you have a problem right?

Sometime back I tore apart my bathroom downstairs when the plaid wallpaper just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Back in the day, I used to tear apart a whole room, paint it and redecorate it in 6 nano seconds. But when I tore apart the bathroom I forgot that I am now...Ahem... 49, it took a lot longer. I enlisted help from all sources available. They completed - - came through for their Momma, but I am still left to finishing. And, as I so bravely admitted above, I am a poor closer. So.... enter my dilemma.

Do I finish up my bathroom or make a run up to Idaho and surprise my baby brother for his birthday? Bathroom..... birthday...... bathroom...... birthday......

Being the great closer that I

am

want to be ------------- BIRTHDAY!

Jake and I loaded up and started the 5 hour trek northwest. We had a great time visiting, listening to audio books (I love my new iPod Touch!) We stopped in Brigham City on our way. Being in that little town conjures so much in me. So many swirly emotions that I don't know how necessarily to address them all. It was there that I felt more alone than I have ever been in my life, completely isolated from everyone who loved me and every thing familiar to me. It was also a place where I have never been more loved in my life. The place where all my children were born. The place where I couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting an ex-husband. A place so stifling that I knew if I didn't escape it, the pure essence of my life would be sucked from me. And yet, all that said, when I go through I can't help but admire the beauty of its gorgeous and majestic mountains

And the quaint feel of the tree lined Main Street.


Jake and I had the opportunity to talk about where he came from, where he is going. We reminisced about times gone by and fun times in Brigham City. It's good for a boy to remember his roots. It is good for all of us to Remember Who You Are and What You Stand For.


We arrived in Boise and had a great time visiting with my Mom and Daddy. I always feel so connected; so plugged in when I spend time with my parents and my family. They encourage, they love, they help me to remember who I am and what I stand for.


Mike got the fishing assortment that every boy wants....please see Power Bait photo...

And if you don't get the correct/enough fishing accoutrement, then there is this - - The Sportsman's Warehouse gift card.

And seriously - - - you have to look cute when you fish right? (Ahem, that would have been my birthday present.....but hey, I did give him an econo sized jar of smoked almonds....you can take that fishing right??)

The birthday party was the right choice. My little brother will be 48 in a few days. And while I don't know everything about life, making the right decisions or being a good closer - - this I know, I made the right choice between the bathroom and the birthday party... Love you Miquito!



No comments: