Friday, July 17, 2009

The Monster Under the Bed

Some time back I posted about taking a PMC (Precious Metal Clay) class from the master of the masters, Sherri Haub. Since that time I have made a few pieces, but I have always used a friend’s kiln to fire the clay.

I have always been seriously chicken of fire, flame, and okay I will admit it, anything that gives off heat. I quit using electric blankets because I was afraid they would catch the house on fire….

Well….my friend Marika has been torching her PMC since taking the class. She is all about the flame… She has taken some metalsmithing classes and can wield a mean Crème Brûlée torch. She has been gently coaxing me to try it…

So, at the last bead show I bought a torch and heat tile from the tool man. I kept it under the bed in my jewelry studio, but sticking out far enough that I could keep an eye on it.

Marika: Have you torched yet?
Cindie: No, I don’t have a fire brick and I don’t have butane.
Marika: You should get it. It isn’t that big of a deal.

So I went to Freshman’s downtown and bought the fire brick and butane. I stored it in a cool dark place just like the box said, right under the bed.

Marika: Have you torched yet?
Cindie: No, I have stored it in a cool dark place.
Marika: You should do it. I will send you a step by step guide.

I read through the step by step guide. It doesn’t say whether you have to set your flame at 2” long or 5’ long. After all I don’t want to get too close to the flame. Hmmm.. I don’t think I can do this.

Marika: Have you torched yet?
Cindie: No, I am trying to completely research it to make sure that I am doing it right.
Marika: You should do it. Here, I will send you a YouTube video on how to do it.

So I watch the video and see the flame thrower. Hmmm. That looks pretty scary. What if the butane leaks and causes an explosion? What if I accidently catch the desk on fire? What if my room isn’t ventilated enough and I die from inhalation? Geesh.

Saturday morning I wake up and decide this is the day I become a flame thrower. I prep the room. I get everything even remotely flamable off my table. I open all the doors and windows in the entire house. I crawl under the bed in the jewelry studio and pull out the beast – the monster of all monsters – the flame thrower. I read the instructions. I reread the instructions. I put butane in it. I put on my protective eye wear. I take off the child lock. Lord almighty, I am sweating. I pull the trigger. There it is - - the blue flame. I watch it for awhile. I hold the monster flame thrower in my hand to get used to the feel of the power in my hand. Then I turn it off. Whew. I pull the trigger again. I lit that little silver clay sucker right on fire and held that flame for two minutes. It was done. I torched.

Cindie: Guess what.
Marika: What?
Cindie: I torched.
Marika: You did???
Cindie: Ya, no big deal
.

I am now officially over my fear of the monster under the bed ~ the torch.

1 comment:

Jaynes Junction said...

Thank you for sharing Cindie... ROFL!