Friday, May 2, 2008

Marjorie Jean - - My Mom

My mom, who I am named after, and my granddaughter is named after, is one of the most amazing women I have ever met. She is unique on many levels. She is complex on many levels. She is beautiful on every level.

As Mother’s Day approaches, I wanted to give you a little bit of insight into how I feel about my mom and bullet point some of her greatest qualities:

She is organized beyond belief
She can pull some sort of a baked good out of the freezer at any time
She has beautiful skin and she always smells good
She is always color coordinated
She has amazing faith
She is methodical
She has a tender, loving way with elderly people
She has a great memory
She has been a faithful and loving wife for 50 years
She is a chronic list maker
She is a great cook and likes to use a recipe
She loves my jewelry (was that a plug to my website? Shamefully, yes.)
She has the same friends that she has had since she was a young married woman

Growing up, my mom and I had a rough go of it. I can remember some pretty tough times as a teenager. They mostly centered around my quick tongue, my messy room (who cares – it was MY room), and the constant barrage of chores. I gasped at the thought of being like my mom when I “got old.” As I look back, I did have a disrespectful tone, my room was always a mess, and I begrudgingly and with constant reminding completed my tasks. I sure thought I had it all dialed in when I was a teenager, but you know what? I would have made a terrible mom. Thank goodness I had such a great role model! Thank goodness there was Marjorie Jean.

I once sent my mom a Thinking of You card, that pictured a Mother and Daughter on the front of the card. The daughter was dressed in stylish white capris, a turquoise tank top, strappy little sandals, a beautiful chain necklace with a pearl accent (another shameless plug) and a cute little haircut. Standing next to her was her mother dressed in white long pants, a turquoise tank top with a matching long sleeved sweater with pearl buttons, some sensible shoes, a strand of pearls, and an Up-do from the hairdresser. The caption read:
No matter what she (insert your name here) did, she was slowly turning into her mother.

You know what? I can’t wait to turn into my mother.

I love you Mom!

4 comments:

nola cording said...

I know for a fact your mother is a jewel. Sounds like you are to. Looking forward to ordering some jewelry.

Donna said...

As a daughter in law to the same mom...I couldn't agree more. When I first met 'mom', I could only cook good old meat & potatoes from back East. She taught me so much about cooking, about caring for people, about being true to yourself, about being a good-true friend, about loving the Lord, and about being the best wife I could be to her oldest son. She is one of a kind, one is a million...I'm thrilled to be part of her life!

Cindie said...

Nola - you are one of those friends who I spoke of - you have been friends since BEFORE she was married!!! Thanks so much!

Cindie said...

Aww Donna - how very sweet - - Yes, she is about the best there is - - well...of course there is your mom and I love her too!