Thursday, May 1, 2008

Late - - April Recipe

Chili Verde

2 lb. pork sirloin roast cut in 1" cubes
1 can chicken broth
black pepper to taste

1 medium to large yellow onion diced
1 yellow bell pepper diced
1 red bell pepper diced
1 orange bell pepper diced
1 jalapeno (or whatever sort of hot pepper you want and if you want more heat use 2)
1/2 tsp. fresh minced garlic
(1) 12 oz. can LaCostena pickled green jalapeno peppers (I don't use the WHOLE can ~ but I am kind of whimpy that way)
1 can of cream of chicken soup
(3) 4 oz. cans of diced Ortega style chilies (anaheim peppers)

8 Tbsp. flour
8 Tbsp. milk

Cook the pork in the crockpot for 6 hours(ish) until it is tender. Add the next set of items and cook in the crock pot for another 6-8 hours. About 1 hour before serving make a reux with the flour and milk. Add to the chili verde and stir several times to incorporate.

Serve either as chili, topped with shredded cheese or as a chili verde sauce over bean burritos.

Typically I will cook the pork in the crock pot on low through the night, the day before I am going to serve. In the morning I add the vegetables before I go to work and finish up with the reux when I get home.

You can download a printable version by clicking here.

No comments: